Georgia Sports Writers Association
Writing Contest Rules
All entrants must be members of the GSWA. Membership is $15 per person per year.
Articles must be published between Jan. 1, 2018 and Dec. 31, 2018.
Articles may be printed or published in an online format.
All contest material must reach contest coordinator Claude Felton at the University of Georgia by March 1.
Entry fee is $5 per story, column, section, etc.
There is no limitation on entries.
To enter follow these guidelines:
1. Paste or tape your stories (you may use actual newspapers, high-quality photocopies or computer printouts) to a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Remove
all headlines, photos, cutlines, any references to your newspaper and your byline.
2. Using a STAPLE (not a paper clip, glue or paste), attach a cover sheet to your entry. This should include your name, publication, division and category,
along with the general subject of the story, and the publication date, should be on the page.
Cover Sheet Example
Name: Stan Awtrey
Newspaper: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Subject: Trevor Immelman wins the Masters.
Published: April 12, 2008
3. Sections just need to have a cover sheet that includes the editor’s name, publication, division and category.
Section cover sheet example:
Name: Jim O’Hara
Newspaper: Rome News-Tribune
Send the material to:
Georgia Athletic Assn.
PO Box 1472
Athens, GA 30603-1472
UPS or FedEx:
Georgia Athletic Assn.
Room 201 Butts-Mehre Building
1 Selig Circle
Athens, GA 30602
Division I: 30,000-plus daily circulation and all electronic outlets
Division II: 30,000 or less daily circulation
Division III: Non-daily publications – weeklies, twice-weeklies
Categories for Division I and II
Definition: This category is for game stories
1-A. Best sports event story on deadline, professional or college
1-B. Best sports event story on deadline, high school
Definition: For breaking news – hirings, firings, trades, etc.
2-A. Best sports news story on deadline, professional or college
2-B. Best sports news story on deadline, high school
Definition: Features, also includes enterprise
3-A. Best feature story or series, professional or college
3-B. feature story or series, high school
4. Best column (this is for individual columns)
5. Best columnist (submit three columns, no mandatory dates)
6. Outdoor writing (fishing, hunting, running, etc.) and Amateur, non-scholastic (non-high school or college)
7. Best section (submit three sections)
8. Best Sunday section (submit three sections)
9. Best special section
Categories for Division III
1. Best local event story
2. Best local news story
3. Best local feature story
4. Best column
5. Best photo
6. Best section
7. Best special section
Furman Bisher Sweepstakes Award
The story deemed the best in classification by the judges will be declared the
winner of the Furman Bisher Sweepstakes Award. A cash prize will be awarded to
Note: Judges reserve the right to not give a sweepstakes award in
any category based on participation or lack of qualified entries.